Friday, July 15, 2005

Starting Out

I've been on diaryland, but basically I follow mrsronk around the internet and she has convinced me to switch over. I suppose I can start with what happened to me today. My life literally flashed before my eyes and I am certain that my guardian angels are the only reasons I'm still alive.

I was driving on the freeway today around noon. I was going approximately 75-80 mph and in the far left carpool lane. Before I continue, I must admit that I usually multi-task when driving (eg. apply makeup, talk on cell, eat...), however, I was doing none of those things during the event that I will shortly describe. Like I said, I was in the far left lane and desired to move right. I was leaning toward the next lane, but had not crossed over when I glanced over my shoulder to check my blind spot. Upon doing so, I saw a car right beside me and on reflex jerked my steering wheel back to the left...but oops, too far, so I turned my wheel sharply again to the right. At this point, I had lost total control of my vehicle and was fishtailing across multiple lanes of traffic. I completely panicked and forgot all the times I heard that you're supposed to turn "in" to a fish tail and not slam on your brakes. I did the opposite of both. Without another rational alternative in my mind at the moment, I gripped the steering wheel and held it firmly straight and braked as hard as I could. This propelled my car into a terrifying sideways spin. After spinning at least 2 1/2 times, I finally came to a screeching halt facing straight toward oncoming traffic.

I was shaking so violently that I could not even grip the steering wheel for several moments, then the tears just started flowing spontaneously. For some reason my car had turned itself off, so I put the car in park, turned the ignition, did a sort of U-turn, and continued driving to work. What else was I supposed to do? I think the whole experience took about 10 years off my life, but I also realized how blessed I am to be watched over. There is no reason that I didn't cause a serious accident with other vehicles or slam into a cement wall. I guess God did grant me a break this week!

2 comments:

John R. said...

you're a lucky duck, TK -- we're glad you're safe. Oh, and way to make the switch...now I have another great person to link to ;)

Anonymous said...

I don't like to hear stories like that. Could you drive a little safer next time?? Praise God you are safe!