Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Hiatus

As you all know, I am sitting for the Arizona Bar Exam in July (the 25th and 26th) to be exact. I have never been a terribly focused student and get distracted very easily. This is not okay behavior for the Bar Exam. This is SERIOUS! People in my life just have not really caught on to the severity of the situation. It's not really their fault though. I should take responsibility for it. I've been pulled in so many directions lately and I just let it happen. My roommate's baby has been sick and I have been burdened with a great deal of childcare and several sleepless nights. I have tried to continue to attend family and social functions as well as work a little. Combined with my 3 1/2 hours of class 6 days a week, this is not working. At this rate, I will not pass the exam. I had a reality check today by way of a pep talk from Jill. She gave me a great lecture on priorities, so I've decided to make some changes.

I uninstalled my instant messenger program today. No more IM for me until July 26th. I just love talking to people and have no self control with IM. Also, I will start saying NO. For the next 5 weeks, I will not provide one second of childcare. This is the hardest one for me, but it has to be done. I will turn my phone off during study times- not just to silent, but off. If people don't leave a message, I don't want to know who called me. I will only check messages on breaks and only return calls immediately which have immediate importance.

This does not mean that I will lock myself up completely. That's not healthy. What it does mean is that I will be the one to decide how to spend my limited free time and it won't be babysitting. Also, it means that my study time will be more focused. I'm so tired of stringing my study time out from the afternoon to the wee hours of the morning just because I've been distracted. It makes it so much more tiring. So there! I said it. I am going to try being selfish for 5 weeks. It might kill me, but at least I will have a shot at passing this monster they call the Bar Exam.

PS- This means that it will be unlikely that I will post for a while. I'll be back in August for sure though.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You will be missed for sure, but you are not selfish for wanting to pass the BAR. You did spend 3 years in law school for this, and if you fail, well....

Anyway, good luck and I hope you pass and that all of your dreams come true. :)

holli jo said...

Uh, this isn't called selfish, it's called taking care of yourself. I'm proud of you for doing this.

John R. said...

I'm all for this. This exam is what you may base your livelihood on. No selfishness at all...good luck.