Okay, so we are in the midst of a poor man's kitchen remodel.
Our first project was to build a kitchen island. We went to a used building supply store and bought an old and very used cabinet base unit. I took the doors off and sanded it down to bare wood. Then we took off the base of the cabinet and added 4 legs. We also added a back to the cabinet and moulding to the bottom and to finish the corners. Then we stained it a dark walnut brown. The kitchen island is basically done except for tiling the top of it.
Last night, we put up the tile on the backsplash. Tonight I will finish tiling around the window and then grout tomorrow. What I did was cut 13x13 inch ceramic tile into 2 inch strips of various lengths and made a kind of mosaic with no particular pattern. It was a lot of work, but I think it will look good and I learned how to use a tile saw! This weekend I will take down the cupboard doors and start to sand down all of the cabinet boxes, then add crown moulding to the tops. Then I will stain them the same dark walnut stain as the kitchen island. Next week, I took a couple days off of work to build new cabinet doors (and stain them). I bought beautiful cabinet handles for a smokin deal on ebay. By the time we're done, it should look like a new kitchen. I will post pictures when it's all done- hopefully by the first week in May. Wish us luck!
Friday, April 18, 2008
Update on projects
Posted by Tara Kay at 4/18/2008 12:05:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
photos please!!!
you amaze me by how well-rounded you are! these home improvement projects sound fun and challenging, but don't know that I'd tackle them with such vigor. BRAVA! hey, did you ever get that part in the choir you tried out for? i'm so late in asking. anyway, good luck!!! I love your changing red, blog backgrounds.
Post a Comment