Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Calendar and Fishy

I know, I know. I haven't updated forever. It's just that there's a few big things to blog about and I feel like I can't blog about insignificant things until I catch up. Oh well, I'm giving up. I'll eventually get around to blogging about the wedding, the honeymoon, life as a newlywed, etc. But for now, I can't help but report on some very blog worthy events that happened last night.

The first isn't an event as much as a funny story. Some dear friends of mine are moving to Georgia on Sunday. Thus, I hosted a small gathering with a few friends last night to say goodbye. Holli, one of the friends that's moving away told me that she had a Christmas present for me back in December. It just always seemed that she forgot to bring it every time I saw her over the past few months. She would give me hints though as to what it was and I eventually guessed that it was a desk calendar. So last night, I asked her about the calendar. She looked at me sheepishly while her husband, John, snickered. I guess they had a garage sale in preparation for the move. The calendar was wrapped in Christmas paper and Holli put it out to sell. John told her that no one was going to buy a "mystery" item. Holli won out and the wrapped calendar was purchased. So not only does my friend purchase a gift for me, tell me that she has a gift for me, leaves me in anticipation for months about actually receiving the gift, but then sells it at a garage sale for a quarter. That was the worst Christmas present ever. At least I never even purchased a Christmas gift for her.

There was a random assortment of people at the little dinner party, including one of my most unique friends. Let's call her Hollywood. She's great and a lot of fun, but sometimes quite spastic. Anyway, she saw my beta fish in a bowl of cloudy, low water and promptly chastised me for abusing my fish. I told her if she was so offended by the state of my fish bowl, she could clean it out. She went straight to the kitchen to do so. A brief moment later, I saw my husband go running into the kitchen. Apparently Hollywood had dumped poor fishy down the disposal. Fishy couldn't be reached by the human hand, so sweet husband thought that the only way to get to poor fishy out of the sink would be to shop vac him out. Luckily, Holli lobbied for poor fishy's safety and convinced sweet husband to forgo the shop vac and explore other options. I know you're all on the edge of your seat in anticipation of the ending to this tragic story. Well, poor fishy did, in fact, survive. Apparently, some salad tongs and a flashlight make for a safe, albeit, slightly mangled fishy. He's now still alive after 24 hours, so we're fairly sure he'll make it. I'm pretty sure he laid in the drain for about 20 minutes. Luckily, Hollywood had the foresight to continuously pour water down the drain to keep him alive. Thank you sweet husband for saving my fishy with my salad tongs. It looks like I need a new set of salad tongs now. I know I should have been so scared to loose poor fishy, who's been with me for quite some time, but I was laughing so hard. It was like a Friends episode. Well, we wanted Holli and John to have one last memory of us all before they left.

And some final Arizona words to the Ronquillos. Congratulations John on this new, exciting chapter of your life. You've already accomplished so much in your short life and I know you'll continue to be amazing. Holli, we have so many memories. Thanks for bringing the pictures to remember some of them. Long life rock painitng. I love you both and will miss you, but am very happy for you. Plus, I know you'll come visit me and our friendship is nowhere near the end. Take care of each other! BFF!

4 comments:

Cristin said...

Oh my gosh, I can't believe you updated your blog. I'm waiting like crazy to hear about the wedding, honeymoon and newlywed life. People read your blog you know. (Okay, well, at least I do.)

Anonymous said...

After that tearful night of shame and laughter, I'm SOOO glad fishy is still alive! xoxo Hollywood

Miller Family said...

Seriously...it's about time!! So glad fishy made it through the traumatic bowl cleaning! It doesn't surprise me about Brandon and the shop vac though. That's one crazy fetish....

Mindy Rule said...

Hi Tara! I found your blog through Meili's! How cool we can keep in touch now! I am glad you are doing good. I'll add you to my list of "bloggers I know"! My address is www.mindyrule.blogspot.com/
Come visit, and say hi once in awhile! Talk to you later, Your long lost cousin..hehe..Mindy