I'm the Beehive Advisor in my ward, which means I work with the 12 and 13 year old girls. Once a year, they have a stake (10 wards) activity called teen elect where they teach 12 and 13 year old girls and boys manners and have a big dinner to practice. That was last night and one of the most humorous things I've experienced, only partially because that's the age where girls are so much taller and more developed than boys that age. When they all went into the room to eat, they told the girls not to sit down until a boy had pulled her chair out for her. It was hilarious because there were a bunch of girls standing next to chairs waiting for a boy to come and at the next table there were a bunch of boys standing by chairs waiting for a girl to come. Well eventually they all got through dinner relatively unscathed, even though some of my girls were sure they were going to die before the evening was over.
Next came the dancing!!! It was awesome. They lined up the kids, giving no thought to matching heights, and paired them up. They then attempted to teach them such complicated dances as waltz and swing. Eventually they gave up and stuck to line dances. I even joined in on the line dances and actually had a really good time. I'm so glad I never have to be 12 again! I took a few of the girls home afterward and the following is a conversation that they had that I wished I could tape and let them listen to in 10 years.
Katelynn: Hey, you guys know how I was dancing with Chase, right?
Girls: Yeah
Katelynn: Well when we were dancing, he had a bugar hanging out of his nose.
Girls: (Hysterical laughter)
Katelynn: And I didn't want him to be embarrassed, so I told him about it.
Girls: (Hysterical laughter)
Katelynn: And he said he didn't know what to do about it so I told him that no one was watching, so he should just pick it.
Girls: Ew! Gross! (Laughing even harder)
Katelynn: He said he couldn't pick his nose in public and I was like "But you can let a bugar hang out of your nose in public?"
Girls: That's disgusting! You know that if he picked it, it would be on his hand and he was holding your hand to dance.
Katelynn: I don't care, I'd rather touch it than look at it!
Girls: SICK!!! (More hysterical laughter)
Thursday, August 30, 2007
Teen Elect
Posted by Tara Kay at 8/30/2007 06:56:00 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Great story. I am the Laurel Advisor in our ward and I love working with the youth. Although the Laurels are a little more mature, okay a lot more, than the beehives, it still is really fun to hear the funny things these girls will say. It also reminds me that I am almost 30 and not in high school anymore.
Post a Comment